Horses are ranked according to how successfully they have raced.- Current Rank is important. Ranking is the criteria most frequently used to qualify for races, including Stakes races in the event there are more than 12 horses entered.
- Each horses "Current Rank" is displayed as a number in the Heading on their "Horse Information Page."
- To the immediate right of the "Current Rank" is the "Highest Rank" a horse has ever attained in it's racing career. Highest Rank ever attained is indicated in parenthesis.
- Only the top 5,000 horses of each breed are ranked.
- Horses ranked below #5000 are shown as "Not Ranked."
- The age or sex of the horse is not considered in the ranking calculation.
- Ranking is calculated daily on a ongoing / rolling basis, so
the current ranking of a horse changes frequently throughout their
- Ranking is calculated using a mathematical formula. The formula is based on 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishes along with earnings in the last 30 days. The ranking formula is as follows:
W = Wins in the past 30 days
P = 2nds in the past 30 days
S = 3rds in the past 30 days
Earnings = Total earnings in the past 30 days
SpIndex = Highest Speed Index attained in the past 30 days
Formula: (W x 25) + (P x 10) + (S x 5) + (Earnings / 1000) + (SpIndex) = Ranking Points
- When a horse is sent to the Breeding Pasture or discontinues racing, the current rank will gradually decline, but the highest rank ever attained will not.
Last Updated: 1/16/2009 11:09:50 AM