General

The Genetic/Starting Point of Site
679 View | 27 Replies
Circle image admin 10/22/2020 2:24:57 PM
I've been toying with ideas for a lot of stuff but keep coming back to the idea of basically keeping the genetics the same with the only big modification being that we slow genetic progress down.

It wasn't realistic for horses to be 'outdated' so quickly the way the game was before but a decade of modifications to the genetics seems to be silly to throw away and start over from scratch on.

What do you guys say?

Dexter Morgan 10/22/2020 3:00:43 PM
I agree that it would be sad to lose a decade of genetics and have no issue with retaining but slowing the progress of same.

Circle image Westminster Boy 10/22/2020 3:26:03 PM
Slowing the genetics is a great idea , have more time to plan a horses progress . Great to have the game back .

Duchess Racing 10/22/2020 3:27:16 PM
Are you talking about not starting from source horses? Starting from previous gamebred horses as the new source horses? While agree it should be slowed down I appreciated the challenge of breeding from the blank pedigrees of source with Unknown backgrounds and evolving, I think it might be fun for us to start with blank slates but the “source” horses be gamebreds of the past throwing genetically what they would have. Just a thought. Bringing the game full circle and the challenge to remember the greats we created.

Circle image Advanced Stables 10/22/2020 3:58:17 PM
I agree that throwing away a decade worth of genetics is silly. It makes sense to have the old genetics in the game. Although it's a refresh of the game, it still has some very positive history in it.

I think just the tweak to slow down genetic progression is enough of a change.

The actual sim game is great, that is why so many people are itching for it to come back.

Circle image Silverwood 10/22/2020 4:54:13 PM
Hi Jeff, Hi All

Thanks for bringing this game back, I’ve been thinking about it for so long and now it the right place to play again.

Jeff I think you are suggesting that ‘generation’ has little effort as the old game generation 15 had an advantage over generation 10.

This doesn’t happen in the real world, people still use Galileo over his sons because he’s a better stud.

Three Counties 10/22/2020 5:36:46 PM
I didn't play before. Can someone explain what the problem was with the genetics please.

Schneebs Stable 10/22/2020 5:42:05 PM
Do you intend on increasing the time between when the horses are ready to race again, and taking it longer for them to age, when you talk about slowing down the genetics? I rather enjoyed the speed at which you could race you best horse.

King Street Farm 10/22/2020 5:53:59 PM
Actually thought it was genius how the timing worked before. 1 month being 1 year, was clean and kept game pace. Did have same question as posted if was also looking at slowing the pace of racing and training as well to line up. That would work.

Circle image Kilgore Stables 10/22/2020 6:05:25 PM
Jeff, are you talking about making a season last say 2 months instead of one?

Or just slowing down the rate of improvement of the game horses? I do remember the QH's were running unrealistically fast by the end.

Lost Lake Farm 10/22/2020 11:31:11 PM
If I'm understanding correctly, you are considering slowing down the overall timeframe? Would doing quarterly years be feasible?

10/23/2020 10:13:35 AM
Slowing down progression is fine by me. I do think we improved too fast last time around.

10/23/2020 10:20:40 AM
Slowing down progression is fine by me (and I would love to keep our old genetics if they exist). I do think we improved too fast last time around.

Tiptop Stables 10/23/2020 10:38:27 AM
Starting with source breeds is the only option right? How can you bring back horses that are 80 plus years old? I personally liked the 1 month year. Breeding 1 month, yearling 1 month , so there is 1/6th of a year on babies. As far as racing mode , I think any longer than a month and setting up your horses for certain races becomes even more challenging placing them on the right day? Jmo.

Tiptop Stables 10/23/2020 10:41:04 AM
Ic , keeping the same source breeds and starting from there again.. I'm down with whatever you wanna do there.

Tiptop Stables 10/23/2020 11:26:17 AM
Ic ,starting with new sources but real retired studs.. I'm down ..

Circle image admin 10/23/2020 2:46:03 PM

Jeff, are you talking about making a season last say 2 months instead of one?

Or just slowing down the rate of improvement of the game horses? I do remember the QH's were running unrealistically fast by the end.
Slowing down the rate of improvement.

Circle image admin 10/23/2020 2:47:05 PM
Sticking with the one month = one game year and horses born as yearlings.

King Street Farm 10/23/2020 4:11:57 PM
ok cool that makes sense

Circle image Something Different 10/24/2020 7:10:07 AM
Good to be back

Circle image SG Stables 10/25/2020 12:19:04 PM
Slowing down will be great and also racing lifespan of horses If could goes to 7-8 yrs old would even better.

Circle image Okracing stable 10/25/2020 10:05:44 PM
I like the 1 month is 1 year that is good balance I really don’t think there’s anyone here who didn’t love the game how you had it set up, my only real input is expanding the racing careers, and maybe some big stakes races or a cup event for older horses to encourage players to keep there top horses racing till 5/6. whatever comes I’m excited and been waiting sense it stopped.

Sapphire Star Farms 10/26/2020 2:20:38 PM
I would love to see the old lines in the reboot!!! And the slowdown of the generational progress would be a great addition.

ArtfulArchRacing 10/26/2020 6:52:27 PM
I think the month = one year was ideal. Other games had longer years and I couldn't stay interested enough to remember to come back to do train or enter races.

Compuhap 11/13/2020 2:56:45 PM
I know a decade of cyber genetics is hard to walk away from, but...a fresh new page pretty much demands it, especially if you are wanting to start everyone on the same footing.

I was an original beta tester and remember how much fun it was to learn the strength/weaknesses of those source horses. It was part of the appeal.

Sapphire Star Farms 11/17/2020 9:47:15 PM
COMPY!!!! laugh :D

I really missed all you guys lol

8V Valley Oaks Homestead 11/17/2020 9:54:21 PM

I know a decade of cyber genetics is hard to walk away from, but...a fresh new page pretty much demands it, especially if you are wanting to start everyone on the same footing.

I was an original beta tester and remember how much fun it was to learn the strength/weaknesses of those source horses. It was part of the appeal.
I agree with Chomp

Peter N Stables 11/26/2020 7:46:55 PM
I think the horses started to get too fast they were turning into super horses. Maybe there is a way to slow them down and have the breeding random like a lottery which I think that was sorta how it was programmed. But it did seem like they started to get really fast at the end.